How do you sustain online platforms beyond the life of a programme?

Submitted by:
Ida Aagenaes
Participant
November 17, 2017 at 5:15 pm

The way in which we work in this sector means that the majority of our projects and initiatives are subject to restricted and time-bound funding and resource-allocation. Although many systems and platforms are created to be as self-managing as possible, often relying on user-generated content and control, there will always be some level of content management and service cost needed to keep a platform running. This brings up the question of sustainability – what are the key challenges with sustaining an online platform? And how can we go about mitigating these?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest Replies

• Alice Hale
    Participant
    December 6, 2017 at 3:05 pm

I feel like one of the big issues and also a big opportunity here comes down largely to the fact that there are so many platforms out there – a lot of what we’re doing when we create online platforms, though valuable in their own right, has the potential to duplicate what already exists. So if we can find a way to link new platforms into existing ones, we not only mitigate that risk and ensure alignment, we also ensure the sustainability of the new platform by attaching it to something established and resourced.

Of course the big question then is how to do that?! Can anyone share any wisdom on how to best to partner smaller or newer platforms with larger, pre-existing ones?

Mercy
    Participant
    January 9, 2018 at 6:17 am

I think there are too many online platforms serving the same purpose. Instead of coming up with other platforms, I think building on the existing ones would be better. About sustaining an online platform, content is more important to keep conversations going and keep people interested in discussions. The more vibrant a platform is, the more lively and engaging it will be. The challenge, however, is resources to maintain online platforms.

Can you create a learning resource?

Sharing your experiences and discussing lessons learnt in the forums is a good way to engage with your peers, but you can also take it one step further by creating a learning resource to share with the wider sector.

Upload a learning See examples & guides