Identifying, Synthesising & Packaging Learning

Submitted by:
Mebrie Belete
Participant
October 19, 2017 at 6:06 am

Sometimes there are learning that involve culturally sensitive issues and such learning that really affect the health of the community will be identified and synthesized, and therefore they need to be disseminated to the community for behavior change in a sensitive manner. Otherwise, community’s participation and acceptance will be reduce which will have negative impact on the project result and sustainability particularly for community based programme. How the learning are disseminated strategically in a sensitive manner and any strategy that should be followed for such learning dissemination?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest Replies

• Mebrie Belete
    Participant
    October 19, 2017 at 6:17 am

Could anyone can share your experience and thoughts.

Helen Asnake
    Participant
    October 24, 2017 at 7:13 am

I agree that learnings dissimination should be contextual.It should be presented in a way the communicy can access and use it. Some interventions on this regard fail to consider the contextual factors. In my opinion there is no one size fits all approach for this but What ever mechanisms we want to use in the community has to be based in assesing the needs, contextual factors and cultural sensitivities. Thanks Mebrie for your insightful question. lookforward to see other’s view on this.

Elizabeth Smith
    Participant
    November 8, 2017 at 11:28 am

I think this is an important question – I have a few ideas about this:

– First of all, making sure that everything is anonymised (that doesn’t just mean omitting names, but also making sure that no one can be identified indirectly through mention of occupation, etc.).
    – I think in sensitive contexts like this, framing “learning” in a positive way is key, rather than presenting it as a criticism of the culture. So rather than saying “what you are doing is bad and you should stop it,” you can say, “did you know that doing it this way can give you even better results)?”
    – It might not be appropriate in some contexts, but it’s good to do interactive activities to get people speaking and engaging in a low-pressure environment. One good way to do this is to present true or false quiz questions on the topic, and get people to vote on what they think is the answer. You can then take the opportunity to go over the answer and explain it in more detail, and potentially base the discussion around that. I’ve also heard of people doing act-outs or even short plays to illustrate particular scenarios, which might be less imposing than someone standing up with a PowerPoint presentation. You can use interactive activities like this to start a dialogue, rather than prescribing top-down recommendations.
    – Look for small changes that can be tackled quite easily, but which contribute to larger-scale change.
    – Identify key “champions” in the community that can act as advocates for spreading learning and promoting changes in behaviour. These people should also be briefed on doing this in a sensitive way.

Would love to hear other people’s thoughts!

Can you create a learning resource?

Sharing your experiences and discussing lessons learnt in the forums is a good way to engage with your peers, but you can also take it one step further by creating a learning resource to share with the wider sector.

Upload a learning See examples & guides