Is 'capacity building' a requirement for CSOs & local NGOs alone?

Submitted by:
Ehsan.NAHAB
Participant
July 29, 2017 at 2:53 pm

On the discussions about humanitarian actions at the local level often the need for capacity building of the local NGOs and CSOs is highlighted. I want to bring other perspective in the discussion.

From the point of localization the roles of diverse actors concerned with location actions come. The actors include government agencies and financing agencies like donors and INGOs, besides local NGOs/CSOs. Experience shows that all these actors are not equally skilled to deal the dynamics of local actions. For fostering localization appropriate understanding of the local contexts by all and their capacity to deal accordingly on the situation in partnership with other actors are strategically important.

The question thus comes, Can we also talk on capacity building of Donors, INGOs and government agencies, simultaneous to strengthening capacity of the local/national NGOs/CSOs?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest Replies

• Shahana Hayat
    Participant
    August 1, 2017 at 4:21 am

one of the key learning from DEPP learning event in Bangladesh even in Manila that that some key stakeholders includes INGOs require significant shift from as usual business(direct relief support) to focus more building humanitarian programming capacity at community level:
    – Mapping skills and needs of entry, mid and senior level as humanitarian context are evolving
    – Evidencing internal changes with proper MEAL system to increase efficiency in complying with humanitarian standard & principle in house
    – Increase analytical and technological capacity of better humanitarian programming by linking with DRR in man made and natural made context
    – Skill trainer to review the content & methodology and roll out the training at CSO level with appropriateness
    – Build mind set for bottom up approach through effective structure
    DEPP experiences was eye opening and i am sure the evaluation process of DEPP projects will bring transformational design for next phase building on existing learning to clarify who, what, where and how effective localization to put in place to ensure accountable humanitarian programming ……….

mamun_rashid
    Participant
    September 20, 2017 at 3:25 am

I fully agree with Shahana apa that local civil society organisation (CSO) need to come forward to do the direct relief, rehabilitation and development works. They are facing people each and every day and designing their activities.

Md. Shafiqur Rahman
    Participant
    November 13, 2017 at 6:15 am

Capacity building is very important to ensure quality of humanitarian’s response. But,my opinion is to focus to the capacity development of local resources like local government representatives and local youth who are dedicatedly working for their community particularly in earliest, experience and cost effective humanitarian response. But I am in doubt any INGO or local NGOs are taking it as priority. In the name of humanitarian response, Coxbazar and Taknaf areas are now tourist zone of high profile UN and INGO representatives. Who are spending huge for their secure travel, accommodation and safe food. How long it will be? It increases price of day to day stuffs that create pressure to roginga and mainstreaming community. I am sure the day is not far, when mainstreaming people will badly react for unbearable conditions.

Can you create a learning resource?

Sharing your experiences and discussing lessons learnt in the forums is a good way to engage with your peers, but you can also take it one step further by creating a learning resource to share with the wider sector.

Upload a learning See examples & guides