Who really wants us to share learnings from our failures?

Submitted by:
Ida Aagenaes
Participant
May 8, 2017 at 11:20 am

In the DEPP we talk a lot about sharing our learnings, and we are encouraged to share learning from our failures – but what do you do when your organisation doesn’t want you to share this?

We recognise that not all organisations, governments, donors or managers are comfortable with us sharing learning from our failures as well as from our success, so how do we encourage a culture of learning from failure outside of the DEPP, as well as within our own projects and programme? And even when our managers are OK with us sharing this information, they still don’t prioritise giving us the time or resources to develop learning products to share with others.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and if you have any tips or tricks to share on how we can convince our managers that it is important to share negative as well as positive learnings then please do share!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest Replies

• Shahana Hayat
    Participant
    June 11, 2017 at 6:59 am

If in the DEPP learning conference, we asked presentation on failure and what strategies has been identified or delivered to address failure then perhaps people feel encourage to talk about failure for example we might talk about failure of effective security integration for the support of female aid worker which was eventually put bar for organization to reach most affected population. I am sure we might have plenty of failure stories to share for future success

Helen Asnake
    Participant
    June 27, 2017 at 9:25 am

I think it is the fact to acknowledge that we are imperfect. Human beings are never perfect, we learn by doing and we learn from our failures and successes as well. John Maxwel in his book Failing forward says Failure is simply a price we pay to achieve success. From the DEPP I have seen a number of stories that showed failure but has something to learn from. Many organizations have shared their learning in the 2016 international conference. We will need to be bold about it and recognizing ou failures is an evvidence that we do better next time. Look forward to hear the tips and tricks from others.

Can you create a learning resource?

Sharing your experiences and discussing lessons learnt in the forums is a good way to engage with your peers, but you can also take it one step further by creating a learning resource to share with the wider sector.

Upload a learning See examples & guides